Monday, 3 April 2017

Fancy a coffee?


I'm loving some of the new Altenew stamp sets being showcased at the moment. One in particular caught my eye because I like the style of the drawings and I thought this set would be perfect for making little cards to invite friends round for coffee.

It's called Coffee Love and I was surprised how big the set was when it arrived. It has lots of lovely hand drawn coffee paraphernalia and some really good sentiments too. It seemed well worth the money.

My son bought me the stamp set and my daughter bought me the We R Memory Keepers fuse tool for my Mother's Day gifts the other week, so I've got another new toy to play with as well. They know me so well - I always want more craft stuff!

So I decided to try and combine the two and came up with the following 'card' - although it is more of a pouch really.



It's difficult to take a good photo of this as the plastic causes so much reflection but I hope you can make it out. I've taken two, so hopefully you can.


I started by stamping some of the images, a cafetière and a stack of cups and saucers, onto a piece of SU white shimmer cardstock. This is lovely card as it has a soft sheen to it and is suitable for water colouring too. I stamped the images using Memento ink and let it dry completely before trying to colour it.

My son had also bought the accompanying dies and a small set of ink spots in coffee shades, so I used the espresso colour ink spot and rubbed some ink onto an odd piece of plastic. I then used an ordinary small paintbrush and water and carefully painted the coffee in the pot. I did the same with SU smokey slate ink and just put a little on the lid and handle. I added a little Wink of Stella to the lid and the plunger inside the cafetière to make it look like shiny chrome.

I think turquoise is a beautiful combination with brown, so I used some SU Pool Party ink watered down to colour the cup and saucers, and added a little shadow underneath both with the smokey slate ink to 'ground' them.

That's all, very simple really. I used a circular die to cut out the painted images and another circle for the back of the card pouch.

There are a few coffee bean stamps included in the set and I printed a few beans on the second cut circle just to tie things in, but this was left mostly empty so that I could write a personal message on it and it would also disguise the back of the stamped circle.

Taking my courage in both hands, I turned on the fuse tool and left it for a good 10 minutes or more to get really hot.  In the meantime, I cut two identical square pieces of plastic to make the pouch. I actually cut up a page protector that I had to make this and there was plenty left for repeats.

The tool set contains a steel ruler and I carefully lined this up just inside the edge of the plastic and slowly ran the tool along the edge of the ruler. As the little wheel turns, the heat fuses the plastic together and I found that you need to do this firmly and not too fast.  I repeated this on three sides. So far so good and I hadn't even burnt myself!

The next step was to glue the stamped circle to the pouch and I used double sided Scortape for this as I didn't want it to come adrift. 

Next I printed a sentiment with Versamark onto a piece of paler coffee coloured card and heat embossed it with white. I then cut it down to size, making a small strip. 

To jazz things up, I used a strip of my favourite gold sparkly washi tape as shown in the photo and added the sentiment strip. I also glued a few sequins to the circular label.

I added the other card circle to the reverse side to cover the back of the stamped image and added washi tape too - just to tidy the back up.

The fun part now. I added a generous amount of chocolate coloured sequin mix from Lucy's Little Things and added a few gold sequins to the mix. You need quite a lot as it is quite a big pouch to fill. Then I heat fused the last edge and voila, it was complete.

I love this style and definitely plan to make snowy Christmas pouches and other versions. I think anyone would find it fun to receive.

By the way, do check that you have an envelope big enough for the pouch you make!

Hope you like this as much as I do and thanks for dropping by.

Jane

Products used that are not Stampin' Up! were as follows:

We R Memory Keepers Heat Fuse Tool
Altenew Coffee Love Stamp Set
Altenew Coffee Ink Spots
Scortape wide double sided tape
Lucy's Little Things sequin selections
Gold sparkle washi tape - mine is retired SU stock but I have seen it available elsewhere

Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment